Our Returns Policy

Change your mind?

No problem, you have a fourteen-day period to return the product. The Products must be returned as new and, where practicable, in their original packaging. In this case, we will refund the price of the Product in full but you will be responsible for the cost of returning the item to us and if you return it at our expense we are entitled to charge you such expense, which shall be a maximum of the charge payable by us to our courier.


Miss the 14 day period?

For products that are not defective or that you wish to return outside of the seven day cooling off period, they must be returned to us within 60 days from the date of delivery. Products must be returned to us, in an unused condition and, where practicable, with original packaging, at your own cost, to reach us within the 60 day period. We will then provide you with the opportunity to choose a replacement product, for the same purchase price as the returned product, or issue you with a voucher for the price of the returned product.


Defective Products?

For defective products we will examine the returned Product. Products returned by you because of a defect not caused by you or your servant or agent (including plumber or other installer) will be refunded in full, including a refund of the delivery charges for sending the item to you and the cost incurred by you in returning the item to us.

If upon return, the damaged products have been modified or have undergone any attempted installation, you may be responsible/liable for any costs of return or redelivered product that is not in the condition previously stated.


Returns Process

Please note to ensure that we can help you, you will need your order number provided when you placed your order.


Organising a Return?

To organise a return you must first get authorisation from our customer service team. Customer Services will send you a returns form and ID number, allowing you to return the goods without complication. Please note: These conditions do not affect your statutory rights relating to faulty or misdescribed goods. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority's Trading Standards Department or a Citizens Advice Bureau.